Home > School Information > Home-Based Learning
In the event of school closures, Home-Based Learning (HBL) activities will be assigned by teachers to ensure continuity of learning. These activities include videos, textbook reading, work book tasks, online work, etc.
Your child would have been given access to various online learning platforms like SLS, Google Suites, E-Zhishi, Raz-Kids (P1 to P4), Koobits, etc. Should you face issues accessing the online platforms, please email beaconprisch_ICT@moe.edu.sg.
Please include your child's name and class in your email.
Safety and Security of E-Learning Platforms
Teachers have put in place multiple measures to prevent uninvited participants from entering these platforms. Some of these measures include:
- Password protection of sessions
- Joining instructions located within a secured platform (SLS or Google Classroom)
- Identification of participants before admission to the session
Learning Device Access
Please provide your child with the means to access instructions and learning activities.
- Personal Learning Device (computer, tablet, smart phone)
- Headphones/earphones and microphone
- Internet access
You may refer to the B121 page for more information on what laptop specifications are recommended for students.
Loan of Learning Devices
If you need to loan a learning device for your child, please email beaconprisch_ICT@moe.edu.sg to request. Please note that as devices available for loan are limited, please try to work within your household to share devices first.
Families on Financial Assistance
IMDA has set up the Neu PC Plus scheme as a means for families on financial assistance the opportunity to own a computer and internet access at an affordable price. You may download the application form from the website and submit the form, along with supporting documents, to the school.
Support for Teacher-Student Live Interaction Sessions
Your child's teachers would be conducting live lesson or interaction sessions on HBL days. The teachers will be specifying the live session timing on the HBL instructions. To support the the sessions your child should prepare the following:
- Web camera
Live Session Applications
Please assist your child with setting up the following applications to allow the use of a microphone and camera:
As teachers continue to innovate and introduce other web-based applications (Kahoot, Nearpod, Quizziz, etc.) for lessons, we seek your understanding and patience in guiding your child to navigate these applications.
Live Session Etiquette
During live sessions, your child should also observe the following etiquette:
- Be ready 5 minutes before the specified time
- Be dressed appropriately in PE shirt (not topless or pyjamas)
- Clear background with no distracting posters, photos or undergarments
- Hair should be neat
- Face should be clearly seen, not covered
- Use hand signals as instructed by the teachers (thumbs up, down, 1 ,2, 3 etc.)
- Mute the microphone unless they need to speak
- Avoid eating on screen
- Avoid offensive language or hand gestures
- Avoid laughing, screaming or shouting loudly when the microphone is turned on
- Avoid chatting with others in the background
Please advise other members of the household to be mindful of their behaviour while your child is in a live session. As other students in the live session can see and hear what is happening in the background, please take additional care when walking past your child, live session etiquette mentioned above should be adhered by other family members.
Recording of Live Sessions
Please note that live sessions may be recorded to support others who are unable to join in at the specified time.
Staggered Online Access
To ensure the various e-learning platforms are able to cope with the high volume of usage, students are encouraged to log in based on their timetable.
Conducive Learning Environment
Please provide a conducive learning environment for your child to actively participate in the HBL activities.
- Sufficient space on the table for both learning device and other materials (about 60 cm by 60 cm)
- A comfortable chair
- A quiet environment
- Sufficient ventilation
- Sufficient lighting
To ensure that students are taken care of during the HBL days, please provide your child with routines, taking the
following details into consideration:
- Develop a timetable with your child
- Plan achievable goals and expectations with your child
- Maintain good sleeping and waking habits
- Provide regular healthy meals (breakfast, lunch and dinner)
- Provide healthy snacks during breaks
- Schedule off-screen rests every 30 minutes
- Set up parental restrictions on your child's device and home network
You should monitor your child's well-being regularly.
- Check in on their energy level
- Monitor online activities, that your child is not accessing unpleasant websites
You may refer to the MOE Parent Kits for more information and strategies to manage your child's well-being during HBL days.
Technical Support during HBL
School Operating Hours
During school operating hours, students should contact the School-based Helpline for SLS queries including all SLS access matters such as password reset and unlocking of accounts. For queries related to learning activities, students should contact the subject teachers.
School-based Helpline: email@example.com
Mondays - Fridays: 8:00 am - 4:00 pm
For other matters, students can email the SLS Helpdesk at firstname.lastname@example.org. When emailing the SLS Helpdesk, please include your full name, name of school and form class.
Non-School Operating Hours
Students can only contact the SLS Helpdesk outside the school operating hours.
SLS Helpdesk: 6702 6513
Mondays - Fridays: 4:00 pm - 9:00 pm
Saturdays: 9:00 am - 9:00 pm
*Closed on Sundays & Public Holidays
Alternatively, students can email the SLS Helpdesk at email@example.com. When emailing the SLS Helpdesk, please include your full name, name of school and form class.
Please refer to the following guide to register your email address in SLS.